Thursday, July 24, 2008

Ishmael (School)

What are Ishmael's thoughts on how things came to be?

My idea as to what Ishmael's thoughts on how things came to be are not exactly clear. I understand the point of the creation story he told about creation ending with jellyfish, or at least I think that I understand it. The meaning I got out of it was, despite humans' nature to use logic, observations, and science, the understanding that the appearance of humans was the crux of evolution has no scientific basis. What gives us the thought that we are the vital species/generation, besides our presence in both? Nothing does, so the thought is obviously egocentric.

I also am curious that, although Ishmael's exact ideas aren't directly displayed, what makes his views omniscient. My thinking would be that his thoughts would be just as self-centered as ours.





"'But finally,' the creature said, turning quite pink with pride as he came to the climax of the story, 'but finally jellyfish appeared!'"


No comments: